MonsterID is a method to generate a unique monster image based upon a certain identifier (IP address, email address, whatever). It can be used to automatically provide personal avatar images in blog comments or other community services.
The download contains a PHP file which will generate a random monster by default. When given a
seed request parameter the monster will be based on this parameter and will always be the same for the same parameter. A second optional parameter named
size can be given to get a resized image.
The script and the body part images are licensed under the MIT license.
Some more info on how it all started is available at MonsterID as Gravatar Fallback.
- 2018-04-03 – relicensed under MIT, moved to github
- 2007-01-21 – added some more body and eye parts, select random body color
- 2007-01-20 – initial release
MonsterID and variants are used at quite a few other places already. Here is a list of related sites that might be interesting to you:
- Scott maintains a MonsterID Wordpress Plugin
- idproxy is a Yahoo account to OpenID system that uses MonsterID as anti phishing system
- Marko Mrdjenovič created a MonsterID webservice
- Мутанты из OpenID shows a Python implementation of MonsterID with quite excellent graphics (Russian article)
- Gravatar now supports MonsterID out of the box
- Jonas Nordstrand wrote a Grails Plugin
- There's a Ruby Gem by Irina Dumitrascu
- Check out this awesome Cat Generator by David Revoy
- The Steem Avatar Generator creates multiple animal based avatars