Mail System Update
Time to write something again. I changed some things with my mailsystem. It still uses fetchmail and exim for retrieving and storing the mail but I tuned some other things. The first thing I did was switching over from mbox to Maildir using the excellent tutorial by Jason Boxman. For converting my old mailboxes I used
(installable by apt-get). The next thing was to tweak spamassasin a little bit for using the bayesian filter together with MailScanner. Setting the path right in /etc/spamassassin/local.cf making it writable and readable by the mail user and seting up a little cron job did the trick.
The last unresolved issuse was a decent command line MUA. I really liked Pine even it isn't completely free. But with Maildir it wasn't usable anymore. Well Debian includes a Maildir Patch but this one doesn't handle subfolders properly. A little search at freshmeat turned up a nice replacement: CONE. Unfortunately no Debian package is available yet so I had to compile it my self. Here is the short story:
#> apt-get install libxml2-dev libssl-dev $> wget http://www.courier-mta.org/beta/cone/cone-0.59.20040501.tar.bz2 $> tar -xzvf cone-0.59.20040501.tar.bz2 $> cd cone-0.59.20040501 $> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/stow/cone-0.59.20040501 $> make #> make install #> cd /usr/local/stow #> stow cone-0.59.20040501 #> cat "export CHARSET=ISO-8859-1" >> /etc/profile