Dual Core Subnotebook Comparison
I looked around for some candidates this weekend. My criteria were simple:
- It should be lighter and smaller than my current laptop which features a 13“ display and weights about 1.7kg
- It should feature a decent battery life time
- It should have a dual core CPU - I simply love the extra bit of snappyness a second core gives you
- It should have as much RAM as possible
- It needs to be available in Europe right now
I decided early on that I'm looking for something below 12” and found surprisingly few machines matching this requirement. Below is a list of the sub notebooks I found and their features as given by their manufacturers.
|GeForce Go 7300
|GeForce Go 7300
There are two laptops that immediately stand out from the table above.
The first is the LG C1. It's actually a Tablet PC which means the screen can be rotated and is usable as a touch screen. Unfortunately the touchscreen is not an active one. This means it is not pressure sensitive as most Tablet PC screens are. I also found reports about it not working in Linux which is a no-go for me.
The second very interesting candidate is the Sony TZ11. Not only does it look real great it also features a carbon fiber chassis. But the really amazing thing is the 7 hours of battery power. And this is the default battery - not an additional bigger (and heavier) one – 7 hours at 1.2kg! I read some reviews about the machine where testers even got higher life times.
So the Sony is clearly my favorite candidate right now. But I wonder if I missed a machine matching my criteria? If you know of one, please leave a comment.